What do governors do?
The governing body works with the headteacher and the staff at the school to make sure the school provides good quality education for all its pupils, and constantly strives to improve. Governors don’t need specialist skills, just an ability to listen, think through new ideas, and decide what’s best for the school as part of a team. They need to set high expectations and ask challenging questions, but are not expected to make day to day decisions about how the school is run. That’s the job of the headteacher and senior staff.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
In addition to ensuring that the school carries out its statutory responsibilities, the three key roles of a governing body are to:
- provide strategic direction for the school;
- monitor the performance of the school and constantly look to raise standards;
- ensure sound financial management and accountability.
This means that as a governor, you will be involved in:
- Deciding how the budget should be spent and ensuring good value for money
- Making sure the curriculum provides for and challenges all pupils
- Making sure the school buildings are welcoming, safe and well used
- Setting and monitoring the school’s values, aims and policies
- Appointing the Head and Deputy Head and assisting the Head in appointing other staff
- Reviewing the performance of the Headteacher annually, and setting targets for the following year
Different Types Of Govenor
In a community school such as Chapelfield there are four types of Governor:
- Parent Governors who are elected by the parents of children at the school.
- Staff Governors who are elected by the staff at the school.
- Local Authority Governors who are usually Councillors and are appointed by the Local Authority.
- Co-opted Governors who are Governors appointed by the Governing Body and the Headteacher.
The Governing Body at Chapelfield has twelve Governors and is made up of :
- 2 Parent Governors
- 1 Staff Governor
- 1 LA Governor
- 7 Co-opted Governors
- The Headteacher
The Sub Committees
There are full Governing Body meetings each term. Much of the work however is carried out in sub committees, which are summarised as follows:
- The Standards Committee meet at least twice a year where we analyse the latest performance data and discuss future priorities.
- The Finance Committee monitor spending on the current budget and recommend acceptance of the following year’s budget. They also work to ensure that the school get best value from bought in services.
- The Buildings Committee look after premises and buildings matters and have a responsibility for health and safety in the school.
- The Staffing Committee oversee staff performance management, pay progression and allowances.
- The Safeguarding Committee are responsible for all safeguarding and child protection issues.
The other committees, such as Complaints and Appeals, meet only when needed.
|Governor Appointment Information||
Register of Interest
|Governor Full Name||Date of Appointment||Term of Office (years)||Date Ceased Office (if applicable)||Appointing / Elective Body||Relevant Business / Pecuniary Interests||Other Educational Establishments Governed||Material Relationships (with staff or governors)|
|Heidi Gibson||24/03/14||4||Parent Governor||None||None||None|
|Lisa Vernon||01/09/16||4||Parent Governor||None||None||None|
|Deborah Noxon||12/05/16||4||Staff Governor||None||None||None|
- Appeals: Mrs L Weston (Chair), plus any 2 Governors who are not on Staff Dismissal Committee and are not a member of staff
- Buildings: Mrs W Bartley, Mrs M Howarth, Ms R Sharman, Miss D Noxon, Mrs S Hannaby
- Complaints: Mrs K Beswick, plus any 2 Governors who are not on Staff Dismissal Committee and are not a member of staff
- Finance: Mrs W Bartley, Mrs D Noxon, Ms R Sharman
- Headteacher’s Performance Management: Ms R Sharman, Mrs L Weston
- Pupil Discipline: Mr D Binks, Mrs M Howarth, Mrs L Weston
- Safeguarding: Rev Adkinson (Chair), Mr D Binks, Mrs L Vernon
- Staffing: Mr D Binks, Mrs M Howarth, Mrs L Weston, Mrs K Beswick, Ms R Sharman
- Staff Dismissal: Ms R Sharman, plus any 2 Governors who are not a member of staff
- Standards: Open to all Governors
- Bury Governor’s Association Rep: Mr D Binks
- Liason Governor: Mr D Binks
- Website Governor: Mrs L Weston
Governor Appointment Information
Register of Interest
Governor Full Name
Date of Appointment
Term of Office (years)
Date Ceased Office (if applicable)
Appointing / Elective Body
Relevant Business / Pecuniary Interests
Other Educational Establishments Governed
Material Relationships (with staff or governors)
|Name||Sub-Committee Attendance Record 2015-2016||Termly meeting Attendance Record 2015-16|
Note: Suzanne Hannaby-Williams, Karen Beswick and Lisa Vernon joined the Governing body during the summer term 2016.